One of the best summer activities to do with your family is fire up the grill and make some delicious hamburgers.

This is what the Fiore family did on one Summer day, but they had no idea that the day would turn into horrible nightmare.

The 6-year-old son Anthony was eating his burger when just few minutes later, he fell seriously ill.

His mom rushed him to the closest emergency room and what the doctors found out in his stomach was something that all of us should be careful of from now on.

The mom is warning other parents so that it never happens again.

“It felt like a needle,” Anthony told the Canadian radio station CBC.

When the 6-year-old suddenly fell ill, his mom took him to the local hospital, where doctors discovered that he had swallowed a wire from a metal brush.

The brushes are common for cleaning grills and most families with barbecues probably owns one.

“We knew something was wrong, and he was in extreme pain, because he was crying,” Anthony’s mom Nadia said. “From the time we had dinner to the time we had surgery, it was about 12 hours later, because our journey started at the local hospital, and then we were transported to Sick Kids.”

The doctors at the first hospital had no way of removing the dangerous, thin metal wire from the boy’s throat.

Specialists at the children’s hospital were eventually able to remove the wire stuck in Anthony’s throat by performing advanced surgery.

Then, the important thing was that Anthony didn’t develop an infection from bacteria on the wire.

Apparently, it wasn’t the first time the surgeons had encountered the problem, the CBC writes.

Several other patients had been admitted to the hospital to remove wires from barbecue brushes from their throats.

“About a year ago, I had a patient who almost died from it,” says doctor Aziz Benbrahim. “He had [eaten] a bristle from a grill brush and he was sick for two weeks.”

Duff Dixon, who works at the barbecue company Barbecue World, says that you should replace your brushes as soon as they show any wear and tear.

It’s also best to use brushes that are attached to a metal plate, rather than a wood or plastic one, which tend to be less secure.

According to Dixon, this problem has existed for as long as metal barbecue brushes have been used.

The safest thing to do is skip metal barbecue brushes altogether.

There are several other ways to clean barbecue grills without using brushes. Some people fire up their barbecue and let it burn the residue off their grill; others rub their grill with a raw potato. Still others use aluminum foil to scrub the grime away.

Anthony’s mother, Nadia, says she went public with her son’s story to warn other families about the risks of barbecue brushes so they can avoid meeting the same fate in the future.

“I hope to have these brushes removed from the shelves, have them banned,” she said.

The family hasn’t had any more barbecues since the incident, and Nadia says that little Anthony is still afraid to eat anything from the grill.

Hopefully, Anthony will get over fear soon, but until then, let’s help share this story so that more people learn about this common household danger.

You May Also Like

Simon rolls his eyes as the little girl declares she’s the next Celine Dion

Simon Cowell is hard to please, but 9-year- Celine wowed the judge…

An officer attends a residence in response to a complaint concerning an 8-year-old boy, only to find the child confined to a corner

When Officer Jody Thompson responded to an alert about an abused kid,…

Bullies make fun of a Down Syndrome cheerleader the basketball player stop everything to defend her

I don’t understand why some people enjoy bullying someone. Hurting and humiliating…

Mom induces labor 2 weeks early so her dying husband can meet and hug his baby girl for first & last time

Waiting the arrival of your baby is the most exciting time in…